MMS Problem

Everything about IM+ for Windows Mobile - known issues, support questions, bug reports

MMS Problem

Postby cswroe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am

I am using an HTC Snap with WM6.5 on T-Mobile.

When I have IM+ running, I am unable to send and receive MMS messages. I first noticed this when I was sending picture messages and they just sit in my outbox. I force a send and it looks like it starts to send, but after about a minute, it stalls out again. This continues until I close IM+. The message is immediately sent within a few seconds.

As far as receiving MMS, since failed MMS is set to resend to a device after a pre-determined time, I have done the following: With IM+ running, I will send an MMS to my device it does not arrive (waited approx 20 min). I will turn IM+ off and send an MMS and it arrive as my device within a couple minutes.

This may be a know issue but I am unable to locate any information about it.

Thanks,
cswroe

Re: MMS Problem

Postby Victoria » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Does this also happen when you have other internet applications running on your PPC?
Does this happen when IM+ connects via T-Mobile network, or via Wi-Fi, or both?
Victoria Slinyavchook
Head of QA and Customer Care
SHAPE Services
http://www.shapeservices.com
Victoria

Postby cswroe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:43 pm

It is a smartphone.

I generally have two other apps running in the background: Flexmail that has 2 IMAP IDLE accouns running at all times and PockeTwit which is a twitter app. With those running I amstill able to send/recieive MMS It is only when I start IM+ that I notice the issue.

It is on Tmobile network, I rarely ever use Wi-Fi.
cswroe

Postby Victoria » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Would you please make a test with Wi-Fi and let me know about the results?
Victoria Slinyavchook
SHAPE Services
Victoria

Postby cswroe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 pm

MMS seems to work properly when I am connected with Wi-Fi and IM+ is running.
cswroe

Postby Victoria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for this information.

Please on your mobile open "Start" / "Settings" / "Connections" / "Connections" / "Advanced" / "Select Networks". You will see Network Management screen. The network set by default in upper window is the network IM+ typically uses. It could be called like "T-Mobile GPRS" or something like this. Please remember this network name.

Then go to your MMS inbox, press "Menu", select "MMS options" and go to "Servers" tab. Press on server you currently use (it could be several of them) and under "Connect via" select the same network you have found before.

Then please try to send MMS while using IM+ via T-Mobile's network. Please let us know about the results.
Victoria Slinyavchook
SHAPE Services
Victoria

Postby cswroe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 pm

I tried it several different ways and the message stalls out in the outbox even with IM+ not running. I have to have the server for MMS directed to wap.voicestream.com.

I am using a cooked ROM, so let me get with someone with the stock ROM and check their settings and make sure I am not missing something. I will report back.
cswroe

Postby cswroe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Well, I went ahead and installed a stock ROM and tried it, still the same problem. If I change MMS settings to use anything but WAP the message never goes out even with IM+ not running.

I am guessing it is a network issue that is Tmobile specific. If you feel that this should not be the case, I can call T-mobile and see if there is something not set up properly with my account. I have full Internet and unlimited SMS/MMS.

Thanks.
cswroe

Postby Victoria » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:05 pm

I think you would need to contact T-Mobile.
And we will check the situation on our side.
Victoria Slinyavchook
SHAPE Services
Victoria

Postby cswroe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:33 pm

I spent quite a bit of time with T-mobile upper level support. They informed me it is a common issue because MMS is a background service. MMS requires wap and can not utilze the standard internet connection as recommended. There is not a good workaround. I did change the port number for MMS (from 8080 to an older Tmobile port) and I was able to send, but still not receive with IM+ running.
cswroe

Next

Return to IM+ for Windows Mobile Pocket PC & Smartphones